Monday, January 2, 2017

Cover Characteristics- Night in the City



Cover Characteristics is a meme by Sugar and Snark- every week a characteristic is selected and we post 5 books with that week's theme.   

This week's pick- Night in the City  

The rogue topics continue as Cover Characteristics is officially on hiatus. This week I'm looking at nights in the big city. One of my favorite things about urban fantasy is the presence of mysterious creatures- vampires, werewolves, the fae, whatever- in the heart of our modern life. What would it be like for these creatures to exist among us? Would we be prey, or would they remain hidden? And what would it be like to be aware of their presence? So this week will be mostly UF covers

Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)Of Shadow and StoneBiting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)Full Moon CityThe Immortals (Olympus Bound, #1)House of the Rising Sun (Crescent City, #1)City of Eternal Night (Crescent City, #2)The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic EdgeSins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)



Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)

A favorite- I like the moon and skyline, this one came to mind right away. 

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)

Lightning and the city... I like this cover although I imagine it could have been better. 

Of Shadow and Stone

This cover blows me away every time- love it. 

Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)

One of my favorite UF covers- Chicago and vampires just seem to go so well together. 

Image result for full moon city book cover

Werewolves! And I like that simple tagline...

The Immortals (Olympus Bound, #1)

One of my favorite reads last year- NYC, immortals and mystery.   

House of the Rising Sun (Crescent City, #1)

Awesome- may be my favorite.  

City of Eternal Night (Crescent City, #2)

Love it. 

The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge

 Nice cover! This has to be a Dan dos Santos- I like her fangs and the tattoo and the fact she's hanging on to the gun- are they catching a moment in the midst of danger? 

Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)

34 comments:

  1. Night in the city is just kinda of the best thing ever. Not just in book covers, but in real life too.

    I love Discount Armageddon, Of Shadow and Stone, the two Kristen Painter books, and The Wild Side. I'm 99% sure The Wild Side is a dos Santos lol. I remember seeing it before, I think while looking up his covers or something. It's cool how his style is so distinctive somehow though, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I love being in the city at night. Makes you feel alive.

      Of Shadow and Stone is like the best. Love that cover! And the Painter books too. The Wild Side- I love that she's a vampire- you're right, his stuff is so distinctive. Her eyes, the light in the background- I feel like they're on the run?

      Delete
  2. that's true that's some great ones! I wish you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - night in the city does seem to belong primarily to UF! Some great covers there - many of them I've read since UF is one of my favorite genres. I think my favorite may be Of Shadow and Stone - it was a new one for me and it's awesome!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun topic!! I love The Immortals and Of Shadow and Stone but they are all cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't much like Chloe Neill, Succubus Blues, or the Kristen Painter books. Sins and Shadows book. I DNFd Discount Armageddon which was a decent enough read but wasn't grabbing me the way I wanted it to but I love the cover. The Rob Thurman series is very much on my radar this year...I started book one and was loving it and then something distracted me from it. I'm looking forward to getting back to it! Kristen Painters covers are gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No? I read Discount Armageddon and thought it had potential but didn't LOVE it, so I've been slow to read the sequels. I need to keep on with UF though... :)

      Delete
  6. The cover OF SHADOW AND STONE is truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting my own CC next Monday :) This is a great topic! Love the covers you picked and Of Shadow and Stone is an amazing cover, I have seen that one a few times!
    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Looking forward to whatever you come up with!

      Delete
  8. What an awesome theme! Love all the covers you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those covers! Happy New Year....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love The Dresden Files and the Cal Leandros series - I'm glad to see them here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard choice I love so many of these series. I might go with Of Shadow and Stone from this set. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! I think my favorite is Immortals but that dress in City of Eternal Night is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immortals is probably my favorite too, although those Painter covers ARE pretty great!

      Delete
  13. Of Shadow and Stone immediately jumped out at me. And I don't even think I've heard of it before! It's gorgeous, love the imagery of the moon and the gothic gargoyles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of Shadow and Stone looks AMAZING!! <3 The succubus series is on my 2017 TBR! I love Richelle Mead's writing! Awesome list Greg! Happy reading in 2017 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my favorite is of Shadow and Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's a definite appeal in night-time city covers. I love these, Greg. I think my favorite is Storm Front.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picks! I love the Storm Front cover. Of course you know I just love that series so much anyway lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I LOVE this topic!! So, you keep taunting me with the gorgeous Immortals cover. I am going to cave soon. Tax return time, at the latest hhaha. Also, the cover for City of Eternal Night? I am in love. That is beyond gorgeous. I like both of the author's but... I am a sucker for a pretty dress.Of Shadow and Stone is really great too! So many of these are new to me, but I am definitely checking them out. Because covers, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab post, Greg:). You're right, nighttime and urban fantasy are a snug fit and these are all cracking covers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am still loving The Immortals cover. I think maybe I am destined to read it even with my aversion to Gods and Goddesses. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Night cities sure is a theme you see a lot on urban fantasy covers. these are all nice ones. the night time and fantasy creatures seem to go well together. I really like The Immortals cover. That Succubus series is so good, although those covers aren't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete