Thursday, November 14, 2013

HoHoHo Read-a-thon Wrap Up

HoHoHo Holiday Read-a-Thon

Well the HoHoHo Read-a-thon (or HO3 Rat- sorry Kimba) has come and gone. This read-a-thon was a lot of fun. It's only the third one I've done but this time I did some challenges and even hit a Twitter party. I set a goal of 3 books but unfortunately one was not out yet so I only read two. Yeah good planning there. :)

I was happy though with the two I got through, given that other things were going on and reading time was limited. I didn't visit as many blogs as I would have liked but I'll keep working on that. :) A big shout out to Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Jennifer at Bawdy Book Blog for hosting this- great job you guys! You made it a lot of fun.

Thanks to the "elves" who put up the challenges too- I wanted to do all of them but ran out of time. I did the word scramble challenge at Rainy Day Ramblings (tough!) and then I did the creative writing challenge at Melissa's Mochas, Mysteries and More.  You can read my entry here if you wish. It's a  short little tale of a kitty's first Christmas and a strange visitor, and I had a lot of fun with it. And... I just saw this morning that I won! How about that? Thanks Melissa (and Truffles!).

Here's what I read.

The Bridge A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)

The Bridge is a fairly short little read, perfect for a night in by the fire while the wind is blustering outside. It's a nice story about two people who are in love but things conspire to keep them apart, and what happens when they come back together seven years later. It's set against the backdrop of a beloved bookstore, where they spent many happy hours together in college, but which has now fallen on hard times. My review for The Bridge should be up in a day or so. Its not my usual style of read, I actually bought it last year (it looked cheery) but never read it, so this seemed like a good time. If you like inspirational fiction this might be your cup of tea.

A Fatal Waltz is a bit different- this is the third of the Lady Emily series and is a mystery set in London and Vienna. My review for A Fatal Waltz is here. Recommended for fans of the Lady Emily series and those who like historical fiction in general.


10 comments:

  1. Good job, congratulations on winning the short story contest, and I'm glad you had fun! We need another of these closer to Christmas; it was a great way to get in the holiday spirit, even if I had very little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark. I agree, I didn't get actually get all that reading time in, as much as I would have liked anyway.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning the contest. I read the short story and thought it was very cute, just like Melissa's cat :) The Bridge looks like a nice holiday read, and is about a bookstore to boot.
    I didn't get a chance to plan for doing this challenge but I hope to read a couple of Christmas-y books in December.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita, it was fun. I'm hoping to read some Christmasy stuff too between now and then.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on winning the contest! I won one of the contests too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that's awesome. The challenges were pretty good this time around. I just wish I could have got around to all of them! Thanks for coming by!!

      Delete
  4. I was so happy to hear you won. I loved your little tale. Glad you enjoyed these, and look forward to the upcoming review :) TGIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba, appreciate that! Definetly a fun read-a-thon, it was a festive start to the holidays. TGIF!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on a successful read-a-thon! Two out of three books read ain't bad. :) And a major congrats on your short story win!

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I thought so too, I was glad just to get through two... the people who read like 5, I have no idea how they do that! :)

      Delete